Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Happy New Year


It seems culturally narrow to me to feel my soul settle at the unveiling of a familiar fall drink (I don’t even like pumpkin that much).  But guys, this summer kind of killed me.  I did not miss midwest summers one bit when we lived in Washington, and I was quickly reminded why.  The humidity- intense.  The heat- inescapable.  I think that part of my struggle was that, since I wasn’t working this summer, Atticus and I were completely at the mercy of our window AC unit (located in the kitchen at the far end of the apartment, because how could we block one of the beautiful windows in the living room!? As if our apartment was going to be photographed for a magazine, ha.). I also had this precious baby that I was never really sure how to keep cool, and how hot was too hot for him to handle.  Poor boy is just like his mama in that he is a hot box that will insta-sweat a ton with no warning.

So yes, I love fall for sake of it being the end of summer (see ya!).  But more than that, the September/October months have always seemed like the real new year. It’s nice to have something else to celebrate in the cold of winter on January 1st, but what actually changes then?  Maybe it’s because I’m still at a place where the majority of my life has been in school (and then working at a school), but August and September are the months that hold the promise of a new year.  New commitments, new possibilities.  The weather changing.  New friendships and connections forming.  This, my friends, is when I experience newness.

So, happy new year everyone. May your socks be cozy and your lattes (and scones and breads and muffins and pop-tarts and waffles and pies) be pumpkiny.

And may we all wear leg warmers!


No comments:

Post a Comment