Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Everything is a Season


Our little trooper is overall a great sleeper. 3 naps a day, 11-12 hours of nighttime sleep.  We really are lucky.  But those 11-12 hours of sleep were only interrupted by 1 feeding when he was 4 months old, but this 5th month brings us enough wakings to feel like a newborn. I think that this is due to a few factors (a season of low milk supply being my main suspicion) but the point that I am continually learning is that nothing is forever.  Everything is a season.

This hit me hard in the first few weeks of parenthood.  We brought Atticus home and it seemed like he slept all the time.  I was all like “Whew! We have a good sleeper!”  Then 2 days later he was awake a lot and needing a lot more attention. THEN my outlook became “Ah! We have a terrible sleeper! What do we do!?”  And it seemed like this was the case with every area of his life.  Nothing was guaranteed to stay the way that it currently was! Good or bad.  

This ended up being a very freeing fact when dealing with certain challenges of caring for him.  And when other parents would talk about how that stage would pass like it did for their children, I began to actually believe them!

I think (or hope) that this has helped in my continual learning to not base my satisfaction on outside circumstances.  It’s not worth it to be content because xyz is going well because it will ultimately disappoint.  It’s also not worth it to be deeply discontent because xyz is going poorly, because it’s not the end.  

I am just trying to always be aware that God is ultimately in control of it all, and He is the only thing that will never change or fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment